Monday, April 18, 2005

there's a difference between descriptive and prescriptive

There's another point to be made regarding my Bible As Silly Putty posts. In the first post, I discussed a teacher at my church who took a historical account and drew from it a principle for behavior that wasn't contained in the text itself. Specifically, the teacher said that Christians should try to get themselves involved in ministries that are in line with their passions. This he derived from the Biblical account of some Israelites working on rebuilding sections of Jerusalem's wall near their homes.

The point I want to add is that there's a difference between descriptive accounts and prescriptive accounts. When we see descriptions of things in the Bible, it doesn't necessarily mean they're things we must copy, or would even be wise to copy. Descriptions are different from commands, even in the Bible. This is all part of reading things in context.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Mike, I just found your blog via your comment on Christian Mind where I got to via Stand to Reason. I've only read a few of your posts but am compelled to read more. Hope you don't mind I linked to you.

Blessings.

Mike - hotfudgesunday.blogspot.com said...

Of course not. 8)

Please feel free to leave thoughts and observations! I think the STR blog is going to help build a good network if "thinkers."